|Date:||September 14, 2019|
|Time:||10:00 am—4:00 pm|
By the Sweat of Our Brows: Family Traditions from the Plantation to Empowerment
Descendants of the African-American community at Brattonsville share family stories and demonstrate activities that fostered a sense of community in the century following Emancipation.
10:30 a.m. Calling of the Names from the Freedmen’s list, a list of all the enslaved people who were emancipated from the Bratton Plantation
11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Ballgames
Descendant Wali Cathcart shares the historical and social context of baseball within the local African-American community.
1:00 p.m. Descendant Margaret Parson-Willins shares about her involvement in the local Civil Rights movement
• Concessions will be provided by Kenny Lyle’s Fish Fry.
• Traditional cooking demonstrations
• Schoolyard rhymes and games
• Ongoing interpretation of the Enslaved cabin and Homestead house
• Descendants of the Bratton enslaved recounting family histories