Celebrate the spirit of the holiday season in traditional Carolina Backcountry Style at Historic Brattonsville’s Annual Christmas Candlelight Tours
MCCONNELLS , SC- Christmas Candlelight Tours present the way Christmas was celebrated on the Brattonsville Plantation during two eras of time , the American Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Five candlelight scripted scenarios will bring to life the holiday traditions of the Bratton family and the enslaved African Americans.
Who: The Culture & Heritage Museums is a family of museums in York County, SC, which includes Historic Brattonsville, Main Street Children's Museum, McCelvey Center and Museum of York County.
What: Historic Brattonsville is a 778-acre plantation and living history museum that explores the way of life for three generations of the Bratton family and the way of life for the enslaved African Americans during the 18th & 19th century.
Where: Historic Brattonsville is located at 1444 Brattonsville Road in McConnells, SC. call 803/684-2327
When: Saturday Dec. 6 & Saturday Dec. 13 from 3 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Admission: Adult $10; Senior $8; Youth 4-17 $5; 3 and under & CHM members Free
Why: Learn the origins of our Christmas traditions and experience how the holidays were celebrated during the 18th and 19th centuries in the Carolina backwoods
Brief description: Historic interpreters dressed in period clothing guide visitors on a candlelit tour of Brattonsville’s antebellum estate and portray how the early settlers, plantation owners and enslaved African Americans celebrated Christmas.
Other activities include:
• Hands-on activities include candle dipping, make-and-take ornaments, and more.
• Five candlelight scripted scenarios will present Christmas as experienced through both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.
• S’mores and music around the campfire: historical musician Stan Clardy will be performing “Christmas Letters & Songs” on Dec. 13 from 6 – 9 p.m. Whippoorwill String Band will be performing on Dec. 6 & 13 from 3 – 9 p.m.
• Historic Brattonsville's Gift Shop features period-style holiday items and locally made goods for purchase.
• Hot drinks and food will be available for purchase.
Special Information: Historic Brattonsville will be closed the day of the events until 3:00pm. Brattonsville Road will be closed from 2:30 pm to 9:00 pm - Please look for and follow detour signs.