Candlelight Tours Present a Glimmer of the Past
2014 Christmas Candlelight Tours Present a Glimmer of the Past amidst Holiday Celebrations in the Carolina Backcountry
MCCONNELLS , SC - This year’s annual Christmas Candlelight Tours will present the way Christmas was celebrated on the Brattonsville Plantation during two eras of time , the American Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Five candlelit scenarios will reflect the spirit of Christmas during trying times for the Bratton family. The tours will take place on Saturday, Dec. 6 & Saturday, Dec. 13 from 3 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Historic Brattonsville explores the way of life for three generations of the Bratton family during the 18th & 19th century. Christmas Candlelight Tours highlight the origins of the Carolina Piedmont’s Christmas traditions. Historic interpreters dressed in period clothing guide visitors on a candlelit tour of Brattonsville’s antebellum estate and portray how the early settlers, plantation owners and enslaved African Americans celebrated the midwinter holidays.
Other activities include:
• Hands-on activities include candle dipping, make-and-take ornaments, and more.
• Five candlelight scripted scenarios will present Christmas as experienced through both the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.
• S’mores and music around the campfire: historical musician Stan Clardy will be performing “Christmas Letters & Songs” on Dec. 13 from 6 – 9 p.m. Whippoorwill String Band will be performing on Dec. 6 & 13 from 3 – 9 p.m.
• Historic Brattonsville's Gift Shop features period-style holiday items and locally made goods for purchase.
• Hot drinks, seasonal foods, and baked goods will be available for purchase.
High resolution images for Christmas Candlelight Tours available at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3cftv65eh15lc2b/AABmwjY0XDs5cxuzAXQUKZrla?dl=0
Special Information: Historic Brattonsville will be closed the day of the events until 3:00pm. Brattonsville Road will be closed from 2:30 pm to 9:00 pm - Please look for and follow detour signs.
Historic Brattonsville is located at 1444 Brattonsville Road in McConnells, SC. call 803/684-2327
Admission: Adult $10; Senior $8; Youth 4-17 $5; 3 and under & CHM members Free
Historic Brattonsville features over thirty colonial and antebellum structures, including two house museums. The plantation spreads over 775-acres and includes farmed land with heritage breed animals, a Revolutionary War battlefield site, and a nature preserve with miles of walking trails. Seasonal events, reenactments, and living history programs interpret Southern rural life from the 1750s to the 1850s.
Culture & Heritage Museums is a family of museums in York County, SC, which includes Historic Brattonsville, Main Street Children’s Museum, McCelvey Center and Museum of York County. The mission of the Culture and Heritage Museums is to communicate and preserve the natural and cultural histories of the Carolina Piedmont, inspiring a lifetime of learning. For more information, please visit www.chmuseums.org