Southern Revolutionary War Institute
The Southern Revolutionary War Institute (SRWI) was established on July 7, 2006. Utilizing the Historical Center of York County’s library, archives, and historical collections, the Institute fills a void in Revolutionary War studies and scholarly resources, which traditionally have concentrated on the Northern campaigns of the American Revolution.
The SRWI is open during the Historical Center of York County’s regular hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 10:00am – 4:00pm. Culture & Heritage Museums’ historian, Zach Lemhouse, serves as the institute’s research director.
In addition to the general historical and genealogical material available at the Historical Center of York County, the institute’s holdings include:
- Primary and secondary research materials consisting of books, microfilm, computer databases, and historical artifacts relating to the Southern Campaign
- The Bobby G. Moss Revolutionary War Collection
- Microfilm copies of the Lyman C. Draper Manuscript Collection, the Cornwallis Papers, and North and South Carolina Audited Accounts for Revolutionary War service
- The North Carolina Revolutionary War Army Accounts
- the unpublished Thomas Sumter Papers from the Library of Congress
- The published papers and memoirs of Henry Laurens, Nathanael Greene, and other important Rev. War figures
- Copies of virtually every important book published on the Revolution in the Southern colonies
In addition to serving as a scholarly research center, the Southern Revolutionary War Institute offers academic internships and volunteer opportunities, publishes scholarly books and articles and presents ongoing public educational programs.
Books written in conjunction with the SRWI
- African-American Loyalists in the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution By: Dr. Bobby G. Moss and Michael C. Scoggins
- African-American Patriots in the Southern Campaign of the American Revolution By: Dr. Bobby G. Moss and Michael C. Scoggins
- The Day it Rained Militia: Huck’s Defeat and the Revolution in the South Carolina Backcountry, May–July 1780 By: Michael C. Scoggins
- Reflections of Rebellion: Hours with the Living Men and Women of the Revolution By: Michael C. Scoggins
- Relentless Fury: The Revolutionary War in the Southern Piedmont By: Michael C. Scoggins
Some books are available for purchase in our online store.